Sunday, June 03, 2007

reading is theraputic

as we all become very busy people in our day-to-day routines, most people sacrifice certain joys in order to get it all done. one of my sacrifices was not reading the books i had been wanting to read. i usually saved any reading time i had for newspapers/online news sites so i could keep up to date with my current events since it was part of my job to always be "in the know."

since I have become unemployed, one of the first things i told myself was that i was going to do lots of reading. my friend diana came to visit me in houston very soon after my world turned upside down and she had a laundry basket full of things for me. Most of that included books she thought might help me as well as her entire set of Friends episodes to cheer me up.

In the past month and a half I have read about three books, all three of which have helped me gain perspective and feel so much better. The first book is "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. This book was excellent. I had been wanting to read it for some time after my brother, Andy, told me it was his favorite book. It's basically all about soul-searching and a little boy's strength and willpower to survive in the most impossible conditions. The ending has quite a twist to it, but I decided regardless of the ending, it's still about the same thing and in the end about having faith in yourself.

The next book i read was one that diana got for me and told me to read immediately if not sooner. It's called "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's nonfiction but so attention-getting the entire time. It's a true account of a journalist's own soul-searching who travels to three different countries within the span of a year and in each country she focuses on three subjects she wants to explore and improve upon. She first travels to Italy where she explores pleasure, which involved a whole bunch of eating as well as learning and practicing the Italian language. The second country is India, where she learns how to pray, meditate and get in touch with her spirituality. Finally, she goes to Indonesia where she learns to balance the pleasure with spirituality. Her account of each place and the people she meets and gets close to make you feel like you are there and talking to them too. She is so easy to relate to, funny and revealing of her deepest thoughts. This is one of my favorite books of all time. I think a lot of it had to do with how much I needed to hear her story right now since she did all of this after two relationships failed and she was lost.

Finally, and I read this in one day, was a book called "How to Survive the Loss of a Love" by Harold H. Bloomingfield, M.D., Melba Colgrove, PhD and Peter McWilliams. This was another book Diana gave to me and it is meant to be one of those books that drag you out of your depths and make you realize above all else (and what is a mantra throughout the book) "you are alive. you will survive." It's not so much a book but a set of instructions and points to remember while you are at your worst. It gives you hope and reminds you that you are a wonderful and amazing person. That loss is just a part of life and above all, you are a better person for loving someone regardless of the outcome. It also focuses on the importance of letting yourself heal. It greatly advises to take as much time off from your daily life as possible and really go through your thoughts and feelings and no matter how painful they are, accept them and work with them. Avoiding them and staying too busy will only make it worse and you might be back to square one years down the line. Good thing I did all that before I got around to reading this book! This was one of my favorite passages:

"There is beauty in sadness. There is a certain beauty in sadness (and here we mean genuine sadness, not self-pity). We cannot elaborate upon this further (not even the corn-fed poet in our midst dares do that), but we thought it was worth mentioning. If you are enjoying the beauty of being sad, it's perfectly all right."

2 comments:

  1. hey em,
    you're so brave and awesome to be sharing all this. i didnt do that during my hard times and it probably would have helped. hope you are doing good.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, reading for pleasure. I kind of remember what that was... sort of. A friend of mine from my rowing team, Mark, gave me a book called "Deep Survival," by Laurence Gonzales. It is apparently all about survival in the wild, taking risks, and being adventurous and how those things can lead to a better life in general. I haven't gotten to it yet, but it might be another good one to pick up.

    ReplyDelete