Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I'M GOING TO SPAIN!!

At least I'm pretty sure I am. ;) I started researching yesterday on some ways I could make money while I travel. I came across this pretty cool web site called Instituto Hemingway as I was looking into Spain being a potential country. Here is the address in case you want to take a look: http://www.institutohemingway.com/index.htm.

Anyway, I noticed that you don't have to be a college student to still take a Spanish course over there and you can actually get paid at the same time for teaching English! I began emailing with this cool guy, Jose, and he made up a package deal for me to take a 13-week Spanish course, set me up in an apartment that will be a 6-month lease with other female students my age and an orientation on how to teach English. It came out to be pretty cheap so that was pretty cool.

The town I will be living in is called Bilbao and it's on the northwest corner of the country. http://www.institutohemingway.com/bilbao.htm. I spoke to my dad's best friend's wife who is a Spanish professor and who has lived off and on in Spain including Bilbao and she said I will love it so much I won't want to go home! She said it's beautiful, in the mountains but surrounded by beaches. It's the safest city she's ever been in. She said I could walk alone at night and feel perfectly safe. It's a pedestrian city so I can walk everywhere and there are three main forms of transportation that you can use one pre-paid card for and all the trips are cheap. France is close nearby, so I can just take a bus over there if I want.

Here is why I think this is meant to be:
As I was sorting through some desk papers during my move, I came across a letter I was assigned to write to myself when I started college. It was a letter full of my goals and dreams and in it, I had already decided that I was going to minor in Spanish and go to Spain to immerse myself in the language to become fluent. It's interesting because my parents went on a trip to Spain about two years ago and absolutely loved it. They were actually surprised they liked it so much. Anyway, through their photos and stories, I once again felt this strong urge to get there. And I had totally forgotten that it was my original destination city until I found that letter.

Also, I have always wanted to become fluent in Spanish. This is my chance. I missed out in college studying abroad because I, eh hem, wanted to stay for a boy. So this is actually my second chance with nothing standing in my way.

My other thing is...for the first time, maybe ever in my life, this decision that I don't know much about feels so right. The notion of it just clicks and seems like I was meant to do this since the day I was born. I can't really describe it better than that, but I know this is what I'm supposed to do. I can already see myself there, speaking Spanish, meeting awesome new people, exploring this enchanted and exotic country as well as other nearby countries and really finding something about myself I never knew I would find.

Anyway, that my big news. I am sending in my application tomorrow (but they have already accepted me) and my plan is to leave September 1 and (maybe if i'm ready) come back March 1.

What about grad school you ask? Well, I'm still going to prepare for that but after having a long talk with my dad, we decided I should wait and see if I don't find a different direction with my life while I'm over there...or at least decide on a different topic to study in grad school. So I am still going to take the GRE, research on schools, get rec letters and transcripts set up and then just take it all with me and send applications from there if I decide to still do it at that time in my life.

I am very, very excited about this whole new adventure. I haven't felt this happy or optimistic in a long time. :)

4 comments:

  1. I had forgotten you were a Spanish major. My sister just got her degree in Spanish, and spent a semester in Spain about a year ago. She loved it and is now completely fluent. Mom is a Spanish professor - she lived in Spain for a few years and loved it. I've been to Spain (and Bilbao) a couple of times and it really is wonderful there. This sounds great for you. I hope things continue to flow in your favor to make this happen. Make sure, when the time comes, to talk to me about cheap airfare to Spain. ;)

    PS - Do you know about the stunning Frank Gehry museum in Bilbao??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea Em!! That sounds like exactly what you need to do. I also agree with Dad about waiting to see if grad school is really the path for you. This is wonderful, and, it gives Rach and I an excuse to come see you (if I can get away). Bilbao is an awesome place. It is home to the really famous Guggenheim museum that was created by architect Frank Gehry, who I got to hear speak at this last year's Neuroscience meeting. So, you totally have to go there. :)

    I'm excited for you Em!! This is just more proof that loss and tragedy can be turned into opportunity and gain if you look at it right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats sounds awesome!! I want to visit too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Em,
    I am so absolutely excited for you! This sounds like a fantastic opportunity for you. And, I have to admit, I'm a little jealous of your freedom!! I would love to do something like this, so I guess I will just have to live through you on this one!

    All my love and admiration to you girl!

    ReplyDelete