Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Friends

Is it me? Or does everyone secretly wish they could have a group of friends as great as the one NBC was able to create on its hit show "Friends" that lasted for ten seasons? I think it might just be a girl thing. However, it is a very appealing yet surprisingly unattainable concept.

I mean, think about it. The notion that seven human beings around the same age with very similar life circumstances that aren't tied down just happen to have tons of time on their hands outside of their "full-time jobs," where they can all meet up around the same time everyday to talk about nothing in particular, is pretty unrealistic to me. Yes, yes I know. That's why it's a show and not real life. But I bet you can talk to any girl who used to watch that show religiously and they will probably tell you that they would give anything to have a group exactly like that. Actually, they have probably already tried to create one because of that show.

The truth is, after college, we all have to grow up. We get real full-time jobs that exhaust us so much after the eight hours are over with that it takes all our might just to run a couple errands, work-out or make dinner each evening. The thought of repeatedly going to some friend's crib to hang out like nothing happened that day? I just don't know anyone that does that. And if you do have a significant other..they are the No. 1 priority to give your extra time to.

So really, the best anyone can do is have a close circle of friends that they see more realistically on an average of once per week, if that. Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with friends and I feel that I have made quite a few new, good ones since I started dating Oren. He has two good buds with girls attached and we seem to have a great dynamic when we're all together.

Just last night my friend Kristi decided to throw an "end of semester" dinner party for our friend Janelle, who is taking some extra classes to further her career. Oren and I went and had a fabulous time. We ate some yummy grilled meats and veggies and pigged out on some cookies that are made from those awesome tubs of cookie dough that are usually sold as fundraisers. Good stuff. Then we played this hilarious game where you have to ask the person beside you a personal, and often embarrassing question. They have to answer yes or no and if you don't believe them, there is a "lie detector" where you can challenge their answer. If they are telling the truth according to the detector, you can move up on this board. If not, you have to stay behind.

We decided that the lie detector is seriously a crock and after a while we just all started answering the same question. It's interesting how much more you can learn about someone through this game because you would never normally blurt out questions like this on your own. The game actually makes it appropriate, which is awesome! I do warn couples though...you might not like what you hear when your partner has to answer something. Although its all in good fun and no one dwelled on any of their partner's answers for too long...it can be a little upsetting at times. Definitely don't play this game if you are the possessive or jealous type.

Last night got me thinking though. This is as close as I have come to having a group that resembles the Friends sitcom in a very long time. And definitely the first in my adult life outside of college. It's a good feeling to have a "group" where you can pick up where you left off no matter how much time has spanned between visits. It might not be everyday, but I almost think that's what makes the relationships even more fun and special.

1 comment:

  1. We're moving in together in Feb when our current leases are up. We're just renting, but the house is ADORABLE! I posted some pics in a blog tagged "cohabitation nation" if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete