Tuesday, October 16, 2007

my how time flies

Well my friends, it's been an entire month since I've been in Spain and I have to say that I'm glad I got this month over with. Not that it was bad...just that it was quite an interesting adjustment period. Not only did I have to adapt to a completely new place and culture, but I also began intense Spanish courses and had to get used to taking those every day for 3.5 hours as well as beginning a new job with people who hardly understand what I'm saying in English.

As you all know, change is not easy no matter how positive the outcome is going to be. I had a hard time catching up on my sleep for at least 2.5 weeks, I needed some of the necessary items in my apartment to feel comfortable and I needed to get a lot better at speaking Spanish...pronto!

As of now, I feel my Spanish is tremendously better than it was before I got here. I can definitely get around on my own. I can basically understand anything I listen to in Spanish and my speaking is following along a little slower but still improving greatly. I have come to realize that when I have a little alcohol in me, the Spanish flows right out of my mouth...losing inhibitions is great!

I have met a lot of amazing people...making lots of international friends, which I love but I do hope in these next months I will make friends with some local Spaniards. That's important to me.

My job is going well. I really enjoy teaching. My days are really long with classes before but I am currently working on cutting my teaching time in half so that I feel like I actually have somewhat of a day outside of classroom walls.

In between classes and teaching my number one goal is to continue traveling around Spain. I have seen some amazing places so far, but I'd really like to go to some of the main cities. I think Madrid is next...hopefully in about 2 weeks.

Yay for Spain....me encanta.

No comments:

Post a Comment